- This event has passed.
Unfiltered Lens Commemoration Event
August 26 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Visitors will take a visual journey through time, seeing the American Civil Rights Movement and Vietnam War through Photographer Robert J. Ellison’s eyes. This exhibit is free and open to the public.
Aug. 14-31, 2023
Gallery hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday.
Robert J. Ellison Commemoration Event
2-4 p.m., August 26, 2023
Ann Whitney Olin Theatre
Lewis and Clark Community College
5800 Godfrey Rd., Godfrey, IL
Join us for a commemoration of Ellison’s work covering the Civil Rights Movement and Vietnam War. Ellison, a graduate of Alton’s Western Military Academy and son of a Monticello College alumna, was a civilian photographer for prestigious publications like Newsweek and Ebony Magazine who bravely covered these historical moments in time from the front lines. His work posthumously earned him the Overseas Press Club’s award for the best coverage from abroad.
The commemoration event will feature:
- KSDK’s Art Holliday as Emcee
- Panelist of speakers, including:
- John Chappell, Webster University History Professor specializing in 20th Century U.S. History
- Linda Nevlin, Monticello College Alumna
- Bill Kaune, Western Military graduate and former classmate of Ellison’s
- Judge Luther Simmons, local expert in Civil Rights history
This event is also free and open to the public.